You Are Reading

OUGD603: Brief 7 - Coffee Culture I // Visiting Coffee Culture

I was lucky enough to be able to go to Coffee Culture to conduct some primary research and get some hands on experience with their existing collateral. I've obviously been before, it's why they're one of my briefs. However, I'm not doing with design in mind. 

The shop exterior, their current symbol they're using is pictured on the hanging sign, and their logotype is positioned above their shop window. The two conflict. The symbol is almost grungy, using distressed type and the logo is in a clean rounded san serif font. 

I'll have to come back at a later date with my SLR - or with a photographer to get better images of the shop front for later manipulation when I propose the exterior branding. 


Inside, I avoiding snapping pictures like a mad man as I didn't want to look too strange, but I managed to get some shots of the collateral which was on my table(s) (I moved around a lot). The symbol is printed onto the side of the china - and that's really it as far as the 3D elements go. They use a large amount of unbranded contemporary items such as the small bucket for the sugars and sweeteners, and a small milk bottle. 


The menu uses a very simple un-stylised layout, resembling a microsoft word sort of look. Using a similar font to that as the type below the symbol, however I'm fairly certain they aren't consistent. They're both serif fonts, with slightly rough edges - similar to a sloppy typewriter. 




Inconsistent menu design and colour. Using different stocks, and different layouts - I feel like they should flow and work together. Perhaps even as one menu. 


The reason why this independant business deserves a rebrand. 


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.